Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I believe in growing local for healthy bodies, communities and natural spaces.

The New Agtivists: FoodCorps Foot Soldiers on Grist
Interviews with three FoodCorps service members about working to change the food system.


Q. What makes all this hard work worthwhile?
A.
I think it really hit me on my first day in the school cafeteria with table full of zucchinis. We had samples of a roasted zucchini recipe and I was doing basic veggie identification. I realized that when kids have freedom to engage with food experiences -- where it's not a requirement, where it's a choice -- they take a much more active role in their food decisions. I noticed that kids already had stories and experiences of their own. Even the second and third graders would come to me saying, "My mom's zucchini are twice that size."
Sometimes just trying things under different circumstances makes a huge difference.


I feel like I'm this ambassador, or a link in the web between all these people who are connected through food but don't always get to talk to each other.



Being able to share the stories of food -- that's one of the most rewarding parts of the job. We're all working to improve it, but sharing stories and connecting the community around the same goals -- that makes it feel so relevant.






No comments:

Post a Comment